The district offices for the Grossmont Union High School District is a renovation to the original granite clad school building (affectionately known as the Castle), built in 1922, converting it from the original classroom building into the offices for the entire district.
While maintaining its original exterior and building size, the entire interior has been gutted and a new layout has been designed to accommodate its new intended use. This includes an extensive seismic upgrade to the existing exterior structure by the addition of six inches of steel reinforced shotcrete applied to the inside of the existing granite walls. A new steel column and beam structure with extensive braced frames supports the second floor and roof on a new steel reinforced concrete grade beam foundation.
The renovation also includes upgrading the building to accessible standards, with the addition of access ramps, a new elevator, and new accessible toilet facilities. Energy upgrades include the installation of modern energy conserving windows, extensive use of insulation, and a new high efficiency heating and air conditioning system. The offices will be furnished with contemporary workstations and office furniture and will provide a state of the art office environment well into the future. Parking has been enlarged, with new accessible spaces, and the area around the building has been re-landscaped while maintaining most of the trees, including a beautiful century old pine tree in front.